Saturday, November 8, 2014

Michelle Melin Rogovin-I gave you your name

This past July, 45 years ago, I looked down on you, nestled in your mother's arms and thought you heavenly. The ensuing 45 years things went horribly wrong except for one thing = I never stopped loving you.
     You fled, Chicago, I couldn't have picked a worse place for you, but that's your choice. You have your mother's nature - YOUR way. No matter what. Sometimes, no matter how much I want to protect you, shit happens.
      When you were "on the way," I told your mom, if it was a girl, "Michelle" was to be her name. We negotiated - Michelle Elizabeth sounded like a princess. I liked that. And nine months later, Madame, you graced us.
       I named you for a Beatles Album - "Michelle" popular during the early Sixties, the one with the very beautiful tight shot of Jean Shrimpton on the cover. The opening song of Michelle, I couldn't get it out of my head for years, " Michelle, my belle" - and then, French.
       If you hear that song by Paul McCartney (who still occasionally lives northwest of here in the Catalinas) do think of that magical moment when we brought you into the world and hence the good works you've done since you've been here.
       I still do. I'm your father.
 ###

No comments:

Post a Comment