Saturday, November 8, 2014

Laura Alexis, I gave you your Name

It wasn't until your mother's stomach protroded beyond the dining room table top that we settled the long running dispute - what to call you.
    You see, I got first dibbs on your sister, Michelle, she wanted you. Ok, I thought, but I wanted your second name. I picked it. 
    She didn't think anything about that at all, a kind of throw a way deal, but i - 
I mined your middle name for femininity, delicate, demure light touches of what makes a woman - a woman.
    Your mom picked a good one in "Laura," popular at the time in 1970. Jack Kennedy's sister in law was named Laura, an absolute stunner. I picked 
" Alexis" as your middle name, after the co-star of the wildly popular TV detective series Peter Gunn. Her name was Alexis Smith, a tall, dark haired, smoky, beauty who followed her pal detective Peter Gunn through years of adventures.
    So, that's how you did it - that was you, Laura Alexis Fulton. 
    No, I'm not going to use your current last name, out of privacy to you, I know how you feel about it, but this is something I've never told you before.
    And, like your sister, I still love the both of you two, irrespective of your stupid mistakes -----and mine.
    Your dad.
###

No comments:

Post a Comment