Saturday, September 13, 2014

Ferguson

It's time for a cooling off period in Ferguson....and I mean everyone. We have had enough. 
     Think about it more deeply than the surface racism that is racing through the scene as we speak: one cannot even say the word, Ferguson without inciting passions, hot words, the thought of threats against somebody(s). 
     Now is the time to throw water on this imbroglio until --- the facts can be collected in an orderly legal manner, lawyers can be hired for both sides, prosecutors and judges called in, and most fairly, I think the PRESS should be paired down to a system of 
"pool reporters." 
     What we do not need is three city blocks of TV cameras hounding the hell out of every paper boy, store clerk and racist truck driver in town. 
     Remember how " well " the press handled nightly broadcasts of the Vietnam War into our dining rooms? In case you forgot WE WON TET, although in the midst of the negative reporting from the major tv stations at the time, you would think we lost it.
     So, as good Americans, it will do no good to run around break things,, punch people in the nose, fire off pistols and act stupid. We have relied on a legal system for over 200 years to settle justice. 
     I have personally sat on four juries in my life, and tough though the duty is ( and at times, I wanted to brain one or two of the jurors with my chair,) the decisions did come out right. I believe in my whole heart in the jury system.
     Why don't we give the system room to breathe?
###

No comments:

Post a Comment