Tuesday, July 7, 2015

BILL COSBY -- IF it's true

I grew up on the Cos. I watched every one of his TV episodes with whats his name, Culp, was it " I Spy?" The TV series way back when. He was funny, serious, I thought a knock down drag out comedian, I spent the front end of my young life, laughing My guts out at his humor. Cos was dynamite because he was a cross-over, he could talk to all cultures, black, white, neighborhood kids in North Philly and Congress.
    Everybody listened. I listened. The death of his son hit him hard and we all felt badly for him.
    Then this thing happened. The ....molestation stories, RAPE stories. I can't even say it without choking. He's acting so strange now, different.
    Fifty women, almost all white, have come forward with about the same story, pretty close, anyway. As I recall, I don't think many of them know each other. I have to admit, I'm losing my faith in Bill Cosby. Each time a camera catches him, his wife and another woman in public, his frown is a mile wide, and his wife smiles broadly.
   I'm sad when I think of the broader implications: IF IT'S TRUE....IF. It means two extraordinarily sad things. Bill thought so little of himself, he had to drug fifty women in order to take sexual advantage of them. His public image was that of a gentleman.
   It meant he felt that was the only way he could ever be good enough to gain their trust, and access to their bodies. How devastatingly sad for him.
   Next, if it did happen, the damage to those fifty women will never be tolled. The destruction of their personal sense of safety, femininity, their emotional stability in personal relationships may have been affected or destroyed. Who knows if some, a majority or all of them have been in therapy as a result.
   One hopes not.
###

No comments:

Post a Comment