Sunday, August 24, 2014

The O.K.Corral in Tombstone

I am shocked! I just reviewed their web site and I am horrified. First let me say that I speak from the position of not just a lover of history, west devotee of southwestern history and all things wrapped around the Earp Family and the OK Corral - BUT, I was in the one hundredth anniversary GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL in the OK Corral on October 26, 1981, dressed as one of the cow boys.
     I am a published author and have written and published extensively about that period of time, and about that gunfighter family, and that gunfight. I speak with some experience.
     I personally knew and befriended Earp Historian Glenn G Boyer who was not only an author and historian on the subject, but personally knew the family. He knew where Wyatt's guns are. He passed away last year.
     I digress. I haven't looked at Tombstone in over three years, and after reviewing the web site today, am shocked.
     The OK Corral looks nothing like the original OK Corral. It looks like the OK Garage. Millionaires with no particular mission in life, retired with nothing to do except screw up sacred historical relics.
     The web site? Turn your kid lose with a 35 mm SLR auto lens and he's bound to get about the same product, minus any sense of depth, composition or feeling of what the hell he's shooting. For Tombstone, the town to dumb to die, the kid who shot these pictures trying to depict the toughest gunfight of good over evil forever depicted in a huge grocery cart full of movies, books, paintings and such, he might as well been photographing fruit.
    Oh, and he mis-spelled Coral. Oh Well. so much for the old worst.
###

No comments:

Post a Comment